29 August 2005

Now playing ...

Souad Massi. Deb: "Yemma"

In an email group of friends, there was at one time a spate of ending every message with a "now playing..." line, giving brief details of the music playing as the message writer typed. Or, in my own case at least, if the message was a long one, the music playing as I finished typing.

I enjoyed that period of hearing what my friends were listening to; it added a dimension. I'm not going to add a similar line to blog posts, since it would lend a spurious sense of connection between sound and text; but perhaps I'll start making quick, short posts if I'm listening while online. I enjoy the process of discovering new music through the ears of others; perhaps I can occasionally repay that pleasure. Not everything has to be weighty; better to share frequently but lightly than try to be a music reviewer at long intervals. So, this is the first of what may or may not be a continuing series. Not to be heavy handed about referencing, the format will be:

Artist (or orchestra, or whatever) as shown on the published recording. Title of CD (or tape, or....): "Title of song, movement, etc.

So, for example, the first line of this message means...

The performer is Souad Massi.
The CD is called Deb.
The song track on the CD is called "Yemma".

That should provide enough to go on for anyone who is interested in following up.

No comments: