17 January 2006

Closing the gap

My post on Sunday, The social dangers of paranoia, prompted a response from Jim Putnam. I’ll leave you to read it in situ, saying only that I endorse most of what he says. This is based, instead, on a private exchange with my friend Mac who commented on Jim’s post. “JMP” is Jim Putnam.

To Jim's closing line:

JMP> Maybe, just maybe, it would be an occasion for our
JMP> Christian community to live the words that we say are
JMP> our creed.

Mac replied:

Mac> I can agree with you if you'll erase the "Maybe, just maybe".

And I in my turn can agree with Mac on that bit, but:

Mac> [quoting another] ... a dependable person is one who lives
Mac> in accordance with what he professes to believe.

While I agree with the intent of that part, I can only endorse it in practice if we qualify it: "Doing her/his very best to live in accordance with what s/he professes to believe". Genuinely attempting to live in in accordance, etc, is rarer than it should be; to absolutely succeed is probably impossible.

With that qualification made, I fervently agree with Mac's friend. Unless there is a genuine attempt to live them, beliefs (of any kind, religious or otherwise) are worthless.

No comments: