17 March 2006

It's great to be a hippy ... I think?

As I said last night, blog entries are like buses - nothing for a while, then a whole bunch of them come along at once. In the case of Clarissa Vincent's Sea Green Ribbons , I check almost every day and had seen no updates for five days (look at me talking – I often go weeks without updating...), then was out of range Tuesday and Wednesday but returned to find four new entries posted on the Tuesday. Perhaps she does it deliberately to wind me up...

One of those four new entries was It's great to be a lunatic, which included references to three websites which I visited and enjoyed. And one of those websites was to The Progressive Rock Archives.

Clarissa says that she "always was a bit of a hippy". I can go one better ... I am old enough, just, to have actually been a hippy for a while, before they died out. And yet ... the dates on the music in these archives show that I ought to remember them ... but in almost all cases I don't. I obviously was a different flavour of hippy ... and, the uncomfortable corollary is hard to avoid, it wasn't a progressive flavour!

It's all embarrassingly reminiscent of my return from the Woodstock festival to be asked by my friends about Jimmy Hendrix' performance ... and having to admit that I didn't know he was there.

Never mind; I'm catching up now, courtesy of these archives. They do say that if you remember the sixties then you weren't there ... perhaps I can get away with claiming the same for the seventies...?

No comments: