04 March 2006

Nonbelievers can be bigots too

I am not a religious believer, and I am certainly no political fan of my country's Prime Minister, Tony Blair. And I am one of those who hears loud alarm bells when any political leader starts to claim that God is on her/his side. I have no liking, finally, for the Parkinson TV chat show. I am, nevertheless, bemused by the criticism being aimed at Blair for comments made during a Parkinson interview to be screened tonight.

Some extracts have been aired in advance; they may not be all that was said, and I may change my mind if more material emerges on the same theme, but at the time of writing they are the basis upon which the criticism is based.

Blair says that he struggled with his conscience before joining the invasion of Iraq. Well ... so I hope that he would. I would be appalled to hear that he had done it without such a struggle.

He also says that whether he was right in that decision would have to be decided by others. Well ... good. To suggest otherwise would sniff of monomania. I am glad to hear him acknowledge this.

When pressed about whether he prayed to God for guidance in making the decision, he doesn't respond. Since he has always held his acknowledged religious faith as a private matter (and I personally think he is right to do so), this is unsurprising. He does, however, under this pressure, add that God will also judge his decision: "...and if you believe in God, then ... [that judgement of you is] made by God as well". Well ... obviously; what is objectionable or even surprising about that?

I don't agree with him, of course ... but then, as a nonbeliever, I wouldn't, would I? Conversely, I would be very puzzled if a declared Christian believer didn't believe that he would face the judgment of her/his God, as well as the population, for a decision with life and death consequences.

Criticism for his decision will continue, and I shall continue to be amongst those who voice it. Criticism of him for being consistent and true to himself is not just unreasonable - it is an abhorrent and dangerous move into the realm of political darkness and unreason. Those who speak from grief (such as Mr Reg Keys, whose son died in Iraq and who has been widely quoted) are entitled to compassion; but the rest of us ought to beware.

It is not possible to entirely separate private from public without becoming a robot; Blair does very little right in my view, but in this he seems to be doing as well as anyone of flesh and blood can be expected to manage.

No comments: