11 February 2008

We want to be together...

My "today" photographs seem to have dropped into a pattern of couples, this last three days (080209, 080210 and 080211) and, prompted by Gayle Reynolds, I've been looking back at them with "compare and contrast" eyes.

The first couple are not happy. His unhappiness is expressed by bullying her; hers is clear in her face. Moments after I tripped the shutter on this image, she turned and walked away with pain and defeat in every movement ... he stood there, looking baffled and just as miserable, watching her go. How terrible to be in such a situation and not to leave it.

The third pair are much younger; perhaps a quarter or a fifth of the age of the first, but there's sadness in his face and departure in hers.

Only the duo in the middle image seem unambiguously cheerful ... and only one of them is human.

Somewhere in there, there's a message; but I'm not sure I want to find out what it is.

No comments: