21 August 2008

Le roi est retiré, vive le roi

Lots of enquiries about where Sammy'sDot went, and what I've done with him. Up to 10th August this year he signed every post here, also on TodayPic and in several other places; then, all of a sudden, he was gone and I had replaced him.

Graham Wilson was the first of several correspondents to unkindly suggest skulduggery, with dark hints that Sammy'sDot has been unceremoniously buried at the crossroads under a pile of discarded XML code.

Embarrassing to confess, but Sammy'sDot, as an entity, was born of an accident when I first started experimenting with Blogger and didn't really know what I was doing – I ended up with an identity I hadn't intended.

Changing the URL would be simple enough ... but would orphan hundreds of links. The longer I waited, the more of a problem this became.

So, for a long while, I just accepted the fait accompli, lived with Sammy'sDot and didn't think much about it. But then, a few weeks back along, it dawned on me that I (Sammy'sDot) could invite myself (Felix Grant) to become a fellow author on the blog. So, that's what I did.

I (Sammy'sDot) then promoted myself (Felix Grant) to fellow administrator.

In due course, I (Felix Grant) will probably stage a bloodless palace coup, deposing myself (Sammy'sDot) and sending him/me into obscure retirement. For the time being, though, I keep him/me around just in case... and I can reassure Graham Wilson et al of his continued wellbeing.

No comments: