26 September 2008

Cetaceans, crustaceans, revelations

Today, eight year old Dan took me to the Natural History Museum and, though his eyes, showed me a number of new ways to see the world.

If there's a better way to learn something than teaching it, it has to be by discussing it with a child.

Discussing the hypothesised dog sized land ancestry of cetaceans with Dan clarified both my understanding of and my lazy assumptions about evolution and genetics no end.

Discussing the impact of meteors, he asked me new questions which I'd never considered before.

In view of Dan's recent guest appearance on Dr C's Friday slot, we obviously needed to spend time in the crustaceans' room. Discussing the lobsters' migratory quadrille clarified ... things about which I'm not, yet, entirely clear.

No comments: