22 May 2010

Pomposity deflated

I recently donned sackcloth and ashes over my failure to unambiguously “walk the walk” of my expressed support for open systems.

I didn't, at the time, mention my intense dislike of Facebook both as a tool and as a social/business model. In fact The Growlery may not have mentioned it at all, but it is very real. I do use Facebook where I have to, but never without feelings of irritation.

This evening, to my amused delight, my brother pokes gentle fun at both prejudices with an uncommented reference to this cartoon...

3 comments:

Geoff said...

Facebook, twitbook, twatbook, flitandflatterbook, lookwhatMEdoingbook. Bumbook more like it.
I also signed up for facebook and was amazed at how much time "friends" ( I soon had the offer of several hundred friendships ) spent telling the world about their every other or so movement - in between "twittering and twattering" of course.
How many friends can one have? I recently did some work for someone who had 400 friends go to their wedding ! I could never ever remember that many names or faces.
I am glad to say that I have two to whom I could turn up destitute and a place would be found for me. That is what a real friend is! Oh B***ger Have I just twittered and twatted here? I have a life to live, a painting to paint................bye for now..............

Ray Girvan said...

Apart from just the general noise-to-signal problem, I find Facebook a bit uncomfortable in that it lumps together all my friends / relatives / associates who I normally compartmentalize: for instance, obscure posts from linguistics professors sitting alongside (probably alcohol-fuelled) drama from my younger relatives. If they read it, I worry that each might make classist judgements about the other (and about me, for knowing them).

Dr. C said...

n wats it do ng 2 englis languge?