27 September 2011

I'm just a molecule in a fullerene cage...

Call me a sad git, but I find myself entranced by this: that Kurotobi and Murata (at Kyoto University) report successfully opening large job lots of buckyballs, stuffing a single molecule of water into each, then clicking the traps shut again.

Water normally exists in hydrogen-bonded environments, but a single molecule of H2O without any hydrogen bonds can be completely isolated within the confined subnano space inside fullerene C60. We isolated bulk quantities of such a molecule by first synthesizing an open-cage C60 derivative whose opening can be enlarged in situ at 120°C that quantitatively encapsulated one water molecule under the high-pressure conditions. The relatively simple method was developed to close the cage and encapsulate water.

My associated mental image is of an manically overpopulated PacMan screen...


  • Kei Kurotobi & Yasujiro Murata, "A Single Molecule of Water Encapsulated in Fullerene C60", Science 29 July 2011: Vol. 333 no. 6042 pp. 613-616DOI: 10.1126/science.1206376

1 comment:

Julie Heyward said...

Every time I read this post I feel the urge to burp.