31 July 2012

Going up

[this is a copy of my second post as a guest on Vie Hebdomadaires]


It’s been a heavy day, time is short, and I’m afraid it’s not going to be a long post tonight.

On Sunday, my friend Gayle Reynolds alerted me to advance publicity for release of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST) study. Yesterday, the results were made available so I duly collected a copy but didn’t get a chance to read it until today.

BEST analyses temperature data over a period of more than two hundred and fifty years. Though its declared aim to make a transparent database of records, calculations, methods and results publicly available is valuable in itself, the view has been obscured by a blizzard of accusations and counter accusations flying in both directions between the climate change accepters and sceptics, additionally fuelled by funding from sources associated with aggressive global warming denial.

In the event, the report firmly underwrites the anthropocentric temperature increase model and can find “… no significant correlation between the land surface temperature history of the last 250 years and the solar forcing history…”

And along with the report I’ve downloaded the data sets (they are , as promised, publicly available on the BEST site), so that I can play with them myself over the weeks ahead … which, in itself, makes this a good day.

- Felix


No comments: